Afro Care Made Simpler
Winter is the time to hide the Afro or it gets a bad rep, which I find really unfair, so because of that and some requests received, I am breaking down my weekly or fortnightly hair care as well as my day-to-day hair routine. As you can see below, they are simple and do-able throughout the year.
My Weekly/ Fortnightly Hair Care is made of:
- Giving my hair a thorough wash using a clarifying sulfate shampoo to remove dirt and product build-up. ORS Olive Oil Creamy Aloe Shampoo works well for me and I do this at night;
- Next, I dry my freshly washed hair by scrunching it with an old t-shirt and wrapping my head with a microfiber hair towel;
- Once the excess moisture has been absorbed, I apply my treatment product, in my case that will be a Mizani or an ORS deep conditioner and while I coat my hair, section by section, I also detangle it using my fingers;
- Then, I cling wrap my hair, put on a thick shower cap, an old beanie and a doek to generate and maintain heat overnight to allow the treatment product to penetrate the hair shaft;
- In the morning, I rinse my deep conditioned hair with luke-warm water and dry it in the same fashion as before;
- I then spray on a leave-in conditioner, the L’oreal Elvive Total Repair 5 Leave-In Conditioning Spray is my product of choice, I get it 20% off at Foschini and you could too;
- Moving on, I apply L’Oreal Paris Elvive Extraordinary Oil-in-Cream, any good quality hydrating and nourishing hair cream will do really;
- My last product is the Umera Jamaican Black Castor Oil, which I happen to love and sell too. This oil is a hair growth stimulator and moisture sealer that protects the hair from drying out;
- To detangle once more, I use a wide tooth Dunman detangling comb from Dis-chem and I comb my hair gentle in small sections until I am tangle-free; and
- To style, I use a Dunman afro comb and I am ready to face the world.
My everyday hair care consists of co-washing, i.e. washing with conditioner only, rinsing my hair with luke-warm water or spraying it with distilled water, followed by Steps 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10.
I hope you find this post informative, if not, talk to me.